LEADFREE Archives

November 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:42:00 -0600
Hi Nic, NIST-John, others, IPC LF Listservers,

<As regards the 10,20 year products being covered - well they already are.
Many of our member companies manufacture equipment for theatres/stages
productions etc that just simply don't get thrown away for 20 years and get
passed form business to business and eventually end up in schools/colleges!
<
<My take on the record retention would be to hold on to it until such time
that the product line is dead/not being serviced/manufactured anymore and
then hold the documents for four years.>
<
<However, as Chuck pointed out there are other Directives out there that
require you to hold other documents for longer. So if you've already got
one document retention system in place then why not use that?>

Thanks, By The Way what you wrote is a smarter approach.

For recovery, reuse, recycling centers it seems like we still need some
record retention master facility whose knowledge can be drawn on inorder to
comply with the full intent of the EU Directives. Eventually these very old
products, long after interest, will end up at these centres, which might
even be brand new centres, needing records.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr, MA/NY DDave