LEADFREE Archives

June 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Lymn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:39:14 +0100
While it certainly true that poor quality leveling is at the root of the
flatness problems associated with HASL Bob, it's also true that lead free
alloys can provide a tighter thickness range.
  XRF thickness measurements taken from a broad range of panel types coated
here recently (with a Ni stabilized SnCu solder in a Horizontal system)
resulted in a range of 3 to 8 microns.  That is to say the 'swept' leading
edges of larger features and earth plain areas were typically 2-3 Microns;
where we would have expected to see 1-2 microns with SnPb. Small bga pads
and trailing edges of 'awkward' features that can be as high as 25 microns
with SnPb measured 8-9 microns.  The range will certainly we wider with
vertical systems (due to the panel fixturing system restricting panel
placement accuracy and proximity) but it can still be significantly
'flatter' than with SnPb. We are about to repeat these trial with a Ag
stabilized SnCu and a 3% SAC. If anyone is interested in participating in
these trials please contact me.