LEADFREE Archives

March 2008

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Michael Kirschner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:25:01 -0500
Roland,

There certainly are concerns about halogens and toxicity/ecotoxicity in
various stages of the lifecycle. Are they the most important things to worry
about in this area? I'm not sure anyone has yet done a pareto analysis to
say (though that is what Oko Institut should be doing for their evaluation
of whether and which additional substances should be restricted in electronics).

Regardless, environmental NGOs place them very high on the list and are the
driving force behind the move to replace them - note the US EPA and iNEMI
activities to analyze the properties of alternative, non-bromine-based flame
retardants in PCB laminates. And again, whether the replacements are
environmentally any better is a subject for further research.

Regarding TBBPA, the NGOs, despite this "proof" (I don't think the
technology and capabilities exist yet to "prove" that TBBPA or any chemical
is hazardous to humans or the environment; the National Academies came up
with a long term plan recently to improve toxicology testing capabilities. I
have not seen the final EU report but note that tests of human blood serum
from many parts of the world show it, along with a whole host of other
man-made chemicals, at some low levels - a university researcher I was
talking with a couple weeks ago said "let's not even talk about toxicity;
what's it doing there in the first place?"), don't seem to be too interested
in giving up. It was listed in their recommendations of substances to
restrict in RoHS last month and I would expect it to be listed in their
REACH "shadow" SVHC candidate list.

Michael Kirschner
President
Design Chain Associates, LLC
415.904.8330
--
Design Chain Associates, LLC - Design Chain Solutions for Competitive Advantage

www.DesignChainAssociates.com
www.ChinaRoHS.com
www.KoreaRoHS.com

NEW Korea RoHS/WEEE/ELV Webinar - now archived! Visit
www.KoreaRoHS.com/webinar.html for more information