LEADFREE Archives

February 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Paul Chinery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:21:55 -0000
Hi Kay

I think it is important that any comments to your questions understand the
context in which it was first disclosed.  The proposed statement
"Homogeneous material means a unit that can not be mechanically disjointed
in(to?) single materials" came from a draft guidance document that was
circulated at a Technical Adaptation Committee (TAC) meeting in January this
year.  I can only guess it was intended to help member states agree on the
proposed maximum tolerated values, though from the comments I have seen so
far it appears to have confused an already ambiguous piece of legislation.

I agree with most of Joe's comments but would add a further separation of
'homogeneous' depending on your position within the supply chain.

For an original IC manufacturer, I would suggest a lead frames is a
homogeneous material.  All of the elements used to fabricate the IC must
comply with RoHS (accepting obvious exemptions).

For an OEM, the IC itself is the homogeneous material as it is procured for
a specific function and would not normally be 'mechanically disjointed' into
its component elements.

An interesting point is that components (IC's) are not mentioned within
annex 1(a&b) of the WEEE directive and therefore they do not fall within the
scope of RoHS!

Kind regards

Paul

Paul Chinery
Dionics PLC

Dionics Plc accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided,
unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the company. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy
version.

Dionics Plc is registered in England and Wales No. 2568427.

Registered Office is Fletchworth Gate, Coventry, CV5 6SP, United Kingdom
Tel. +44 (0) 24 76 71 33 66