LEADFREE Archives

January 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:29:26 -0500
Hello Werner,

Thanks so much for your thoughful comments.  What about Roger's
suggestion about the LGA package?
Perhaps that is a compromise for the Mil/aero/high rel industries who
must still use tin-lead?

Roger also talks about copper columns.  Please speculate as to what
would be a better package for dense parts such as FPGAs and processors.

FYI, PERM members have developed a proposal for DoD funding of an
intensive R&D effort to solve the many gaps in lead-free electronics
manufacturing.  Initially called the "Manhattan" project, it's
estimated to cost $95M.  PERM supports the proposal. The Phase I
report is complete (I will email you a copy).  Phase II is being
written.  Initial funding is from the Navy and has funded subject
matter experts meeting for two weeks in these two Phases (as Denny
explains in his video).

Tim whiskers is one of the identified gaps in knowledge.  The Phase I
report indicates that whiskering introduces uncertainties into the
reliability calculation for an assembly.  Uncertainties mil/aero/high
performance products such as implanted medical devices cannot tolerate
for their expected life cycle.

What do you suggest part vendors do?PERM has a supplier task team (I'm
a member) and I am proposing we go back to the vendors and discuss
packaging options/changes.  Perhaps a fruitless effort but with the
switch to COTS for many formerly MIL devices, RoHS has introduced
reliability problems that need to be addressed.

Sincerely,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone