IPC-600-6012 Archives

February 2011

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:40:58 -0500
The buried cap thickness is not that significant if there is no microvia
attached to the cap. Well actually it is significant if the cap, wrap
and foil are so thick that the dielectric above the cap is greatly
reduced. Then we could get, to quote Randy Reed, "glass lock" or "glass
crush" between the cap and the adjacent copper layer. Imagine the buried
via foil, wrap and cap as a post sticking up into the b-stage material.

When there is a microvia attached to the cap, cap thickness counts.

For a reliable circuit we need to balance the thickness of the cap, wrap
and b-stage dielectric. All three contribute to three or four failure
modes. We could get cracks in the cap at the knee of the buried, cracks
around the base of the microvia, laser ablation through the cap, glass
lock or glass crush (which provides a path for conductive filament
growth).

Do you think we should define some parameters?

Sincerely,
Paul Reid

Program Coordinator
PWB Interconnect Solutions Inc.