IPC-600-6012 Archives

March 2001

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Hill, Mike E." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees <[log in to unmask]>, "Hill, Mike E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:46:43 -0500
I was not going to comment but Ken and Bruce are on the right track and I'll
attempt to add a little more value a real life situations along the lines
that they have already stated.

In general, the over etching takes place on every conductor edge at about
the same rate.  Even when the parts are "normally etched" (not over etched)
you generally lose about 0.2-0.4 mils (I know I did not use metric!!!) on
each edge (0.4-0.8 mils total compared to the line width on the Artwork, i.e
a 4 mil line on the artwork would be 3.6 to 3.2 after etch).

I can't think of a customer that does not give some specific requirements
about the mnimum SMT pad size over and beyond IPC 6012.

But in reality, when you over etch the panel significantly the circuit lines
become defective before the SMT pads and therefore the pads become a mute
point. The only case this may not be true is a design with SMT pads only
without exteranl signal lines (not very likely).   So therefore, the issue
almost never comes up even without a seperate requirement for pads.

Mike