IPC-600-6012 Archives

December 2008

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Francis Byle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:26:52 -0600
Hi Constantino,
I'll reply to this not from a standards perspective, but from a mechanical engineering perspective. It looks like there is excessive bending stress in the product. The sharp transition from the pad to the trace acts as a "stress riser" that concentrates stress at the corner and initiates the crack. It is also possible that the ductility of the copper is low to start with.
The revised pad design will help, but it is a mitigation and does not address the root cause of failure. Look at both the material properties of the copper involved, the mounting of the PWA in the product, and the flexural response of the PWA to the stresses expected in transportation.

Regards,

Fritz Byle