IPC-600-6012 Archives

July 2011

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Dieffenbacher, William C (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:31:06 -0400
Chris,

I don't know anything about the Sulistron SLT20012.  I tried Googling it and found a web site that described their product as possibly a belt sander, but they also fabricate polishing equipment.  The Pola Massa is a polishing machine with diamond grit polishing heads.

In the end the proof is in the process control.  We have seen suppliers fail miserably with belt sanders since they cannot control the amount of copper removed uniformly across the panel to within 0.0002 inch.  The Pola Massa can hold this across the panel, but does need good process control and needs to be continually watched because it can damage a board with excessive copper removal, especially at the critical via knee areas.  (I wish I didn't know all this, but it has become an occupational hazard.)

There are a couple of other machines on the market that might be even better than the Pola Massa from a maintenance perspective.

Bill

William Dieffenbacher
PWB Engineer, Platform Solutions

T  607-770-2961   F 607-770-2056   [log in to unmask]
BAE Systems  Johnson City, New York, USA