IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Denny Cantwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:08:55 -0500
If I may inject my opinion into this discussion, from the photo shown,
this should be a rejectable condition to EITHER IPC-A-600G or the
IPC-610.  These cracks will absorb solutions by capillary action, and
lower the insulation resistance to probable failure in field usage.  Not
knowing the supplier of the product, nor the type of soldermask used, my
opinion may be biased, but the cracks pictured are common when a certain
soldermask is used.  If the panel is "flexed" (during photo development
of a LPISM), these cracks are common, if the flexure occurs prior to
baking to full cure.  The SM does not develop any flexibility until
after the bake cure.  I cannot state whose SM does this, out of respect
for the supplier of the SM, but a change to a different supplier's LPISM
eliminated this problem when we had a similar cracking problem.  We
learned the hard way, by losing an entire production lot for cracks, but
since changing suppliers, we have not had any problems.

Dennis J. Cantwell
R & D Liaison
Printed Circuits, Inc.
1200 West 96th Street