IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:03:53 -0500
If this topic is being revised, I would suggest that we distinguish between
two types of marking.
1). Tracking and Identification (and maybe polarity) is essential, and must
be legible
2). Reference Designators may be present but are not essential

As circuit board designers, quite often we find ourselves removing over half
the reference designators because there is simply not enough room for them.
But as an attempt to be helpful to anyone down the line we try to put as
many as we can, and inevitably there will be some grey area where we know it
might not come out right, like over a via that has mask encroached up to the
drilled hole. This is not going to look good in the finished product, but
even if only the "43" is visible on component "C143", and even if everyone
agrees that seeing a RefDes for C143 is not essential, it may be helpful to
someone working in the lab or whatever.

I don't think our attempt to add extra info for non-essential nomenclature
should penalize us with possible rejects. Knowing that all I have to do is
remove ALL the reference designators to guarantee a conforming product will
only encourage me to take the easy way out and remove the silkscreen
altogether. hey, no rejects!

Jack (aka "the new guy")