IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:15:39 -0400
Hi Phil,
For you, I care to.  Here is my recollection and opinion:

Fabricators and others resisted specification on three grounds:
1) assumption that said cracks don't propagate
2) liability of the design activity wrt designs which have electrically biased z-axis predisposition to the failure mechanism
3) thermal zone

In my opinion, it is indeed likely that the cracks as (optically observed) don't propagate.
However, I think the history of the thermal zone is totally dependent upon the assumption of all conductors in the neighborhood being at the same potential.
Moreover, dielectric breakdown does certainly propagate and would have a strong affinity to the stress concentration points.

I would suggest that a tenable solution at this time would be to design a test vehicle (or sacrifice actual board) which would undergo the MIR/DWV routine as the E coupon does know, except after 2.6.27.  Additional upside: for sequential laminations, it would actually bring some value back to the test.

My two cents

Chris

Chris Mahanna
President, Technical Manager