IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:58:59 -0400
Hi Wendi.
This is a known issue that got placed in the parking lot in the interest of publishing C before 2015.  I'm certain that the intent of 6012 was to propagate Bs by structure, and I'm fairly certain that the 2221 "plating cycle" verbiage wasn't fully vetted.
Obviuosly the two paths don't always lead to the same conclusion.  Personally, I believe 2221 holds authority for the decision, but every OEM we've asked intreprets it as structure.  So, it probably isn't worth the risk.  Yes, I know it is a major pain.  The new B coupon design might help.
Tents, via protection, backdrills, full/partial pad stacks...   oh my.
Chris