IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2002

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
John Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:03:06 -0500
Colleagues,

Following our intitial review of the Proposed Table 3-2 for the IPC-6012B, several task group members indicated that they specifiy minimum values of wire bondable gold electroplating, for both ultrasonic and thermosonic conditions, decidedly different from that of the IPC-6012B.

TRW specifices a minimum of 0.0001" for Class 3 for both GWB-1 and GWB-2.  Soverign Circuits has indicated that NASA specifies a nominal 0.0001" for wire bondable gold.

IPC-6012B is calling out 0.00000197" for GWB-1 and 0.0000118" for GWB-2.

Is it the consensus of this group that we should explore increasing the minimum thickness for this type of plating under Class 3, or that we should keep the values as is and allow board fabricators to take exception within their procurement documentation when necessary?

The proposed table is attached here - I hope - we've had problems in the past posting to forums with attachments, but I've been told  that has been fixed.

Best Regards,

John Perry
Technical Project Manager
IPC