IPC-600-6012 Archives

March 2008

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Dung Tiet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:26:00 -0500
Hi all,

We recently ran across a whitish spotty/hazy laminate condition first spotted
after a couple of boards had gone thru assembly (see attached PWB.jpg
picture showing condition on laminate between connector fingers on
assembly).  The condition was brought into question and after some
investigation, we learned that such condition is a pre-existing one at the bare
laminate level that normally occurs with Arlon's 33N polyimide laminates due to
a micro-disperse second phase of the flame retardant brominated sytem.

And apparently, this condition is seen to varying degrees within the 33N (see
attached pictures: 113_1335a.jpg - more so, 113_1352a.jpg - less so).  Also
attached is Arlon's letter that explains this laminate appearance, concluding
that it's not a laminate defect.

How have other end-users of this 33N laminates dealt with this laminate
appearance at the assembly level?  Has it caused any grief and how had the
assemblies been dispositioned?

Of course this condition, when it exists, can only be seen under magnification,
but even then, the whitish spotty/hazy appearance can be confused with
other possible laminate imperfections/defects when seen by the inexperienced,
like we were.  I'm not even sure if we're able to automatically say this is the
condition we have when similar appearances are seen on future finished
assemblies.

Any feedback you have is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dung Q. Tiet
Lockheed Martin Space Systems Co.
Sunnyvale, CA