IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2013

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 03:22:36 +0000
Hi Pete,

For Rev B there is no definitive answer.

This is a "bug" in all revisions until C.  As you know, the changes to paragraph 3.6.2.6  and figure 3-11 are the fix, and in my opinion represents the historical intent.

I have seen 6012B 3/A product deemed acceptable using the T-50 and dictionary "wicking"= "capillary action" argument, which you point out.

I have also seen that argument fail.

Randy points out the alternate usage.  This is very likely favored by your end customer (judging by the use of B 3/A), and that means your picture is likely nonconforming.  There is a catch-22 with this alternate, in that you can get in trouble for assessing wicking on military jobs after microetch (it is disallowed in some revisions).  This might explain why the sample in your image isn't etched.

I have NOT seen the 6012C 3/A wicking requirement enforced without the class 3 para 3.6.2.6 caveat, which in my opinion is legally correct, but good luck finding it in black-and-white.

Assuming this "precedence" with the 3/A club holds, your picture is likely conformant to C 3/A.

And last but not least, with respect to your picture: what part is capillary action and what is glass fiber protrusion?  This conundrum was considered during the fix debate, and I think we worked around it.  BTW, I have not seen this argument used successfully to save B 3/A product.

Good luck at your presentation.

Chris

Chris Mahanna

Robisan Laboratory