IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:06:48 -0400
A couple of comments/observations:
* From our experimentation with the IPC-1951 resolution target, I conclude that anything up to 3 diopters is basically just a leveling of the playing field with respect to human nearsight acuity.
Unfortunately for us as specifiers, this isn't necessarily true at the 3-5 diopter breakpoint.  As I remember it, this basic assumption is the root of the PINs for the development of the IPC-1951.

* I believe we have the votes to install a minimum contrast/resolution for the magnification aid with respect to feature size.  The beauty of this solution is that we don't over-specify or under-specify, and allow the inspection activity to use the most efficient technique.

* There is an inherent problem with legibility requirements, in that a 3 day old baby has got better pattern recognition skills than any AOI.

* Increased magnification likely hinders pattern recognition, unless it increases contrast; which is usually not true.

I would be happy to submit a PIN to move to the next step with the 1951, but I think it might again fall under John's "critical and difficult" category.

Chris