IPC-600-6012 Archives

April 2009

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Wendi Boger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:25:15 -0400
Mike,

   I also agree.  How the via is formed is not that important. In fact
there are applications were a combination of mechanical and Laser are
being used. On the aspect ratio side we have had a number of discussions
with customers and labs on how to accurately measure the aspect ratio.
Is it the aperture of the hole at the surface, at the target land or
some combination?  As these holes are very small and it is difficult to
grind to the exact center of the hole it makes it very hard to measure;
especially at the bottom were the hole has some slant or curve to it. As
you know what size laser aperture or drill you are using it makes it
easy and straight forward for the board shop to use the top surface
diameter.

Wendi