IPC-600-6012 Archives

June 2008

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Reed, Randy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:24:10 -0700
Brian,

The buried via cores and buried vias (>2 layers) are via types that
originate and end on layers inside the board.  The vias would NOT be
microvias.

The reason for the (2) designations is to take into account the aspect
ratio of the hole and the lack of prepreg in the construction.  The low
aspect ratio and Z axis expansion of the cores (in contrast to thicker
buried vias) tend to be more reliable which resulted in permitting
thinner copper plate thickness for this via type.

Regards,

Randy

Randy Reed, CQE
Reliability/FA Engineer