IPC-600-6012 Archives

February 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Paul Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:58:55 -0500
Hi Werner,

You do need "liquid water" for vapor pressure. Vapor pressure is the
pressure imposed by evaporation. I just want all to understand that the
pressure exerted by vapor pressure is limited to the amount of available
water, or other volatiles, in the system. I mean molecular water, not
water bound as -OH and +H ions in the dielectric. The increase in the
rate of pressure due to temperature is reduced when all available
molecules of the volatiles are in a gaseous state. You can't drive a
steam engine with one drop of water.

This is not my idea. It was pointed out to me by Wayne Rothschild
formerly from IBM. The amount of water counts when calculating the
pressure imposed by heating.

I vaguely remember this from P Chem.  I was calculating the number of
impacts per second on the surface of a vessel based on the heat (read
speed), size and weight of the molecules, and number of molecules in the
vessel in order to calculate pressure.  More molecules present in the
vessel, at an isotherm, means more hits on the inner surface of the
vessel which in turn equals greater pressure. Over a liquid the gas is
in equilibrium with liquid, something akin to an unlimited water source,
and pressure rises. Once all the liquid is evaporated the rate of
increase in pressure is reduced.

I believe the gas laws include this concept.

Baking does not reduce the vapor pressure (read evaporation rate) of the
volatile, baking reduces the amount of water. The internal pressure is
reduced because the amount of water is reduced.

From Wikipedia (only used this source because I can cut and paste,
reference books say the same thing)

"Vapor pressure or equilibrium vapor pressure is the pressure of a vapor
in thermodynamic equilibrium with its condensed phases in a closed
container. All liquids and solids have a tendency to evaporate into a
gaseous form, and all gases have a tendency to condense back to their
liquid or solid form.

The equilibrium vapor pressure is an indication of a liquid's
evaporation rate. It relates to the tendency of particles to escape from
the liquid (or a solid). A substance with a high vapor pressure at
normal temperatures is often referred to as volatile."

Note the definition states "in thermodynamic equilibrium". When you run
out of water the pressure in the board is effectively limited.

Sincerely,
Paul Reid

Program Coordinator
PWB Interconnect Solutions Inc.