IPC-600-6012 Archives

November 2006

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:16:59 -0500
Hey John,
Yes and Yes.  Although I don't think it is the only conflict.
While hole wall plating voids are covered by 3.6.2.1, 3.6.2.2, and 3.6.2.11,  one could pretty easily make an arguement that for the treatment for isolated thin areas, 3.6.2.11 supplants the others.  Do I think we should have to make such interpretations?  NO.

My larger concern is that, in order to observe other attributes, we have already oversampled 7X.  So this idea of 1 vs. 2, or random versus endemic (to the panel or lot) is confounded by the fact that sampling is way to big.

In my opinion, to follow the intent of the authors we should take three holes only from an additional 27 panels (maybe no thermal stress).  If no isolated thin areas are observed, then we would invoke 4.2.2 to sample the same panel (3 holes only) that showed 2 isolated areas the first time.  If, by chance (by my calculations ~90%), all referees show no isolated thin areas, then the lot would be found to be conforming.

Ridiculous?  Yes.

My larger point is to soapbox about the use of coupons.  I believe that a primary outcome of the (Traditional) Test Coupon committee work will be to highly suggest that coupons SHALL be used for conformance testing.  This case is an example why.  I'll be submitting more.  Oh -boy!

Secondarily, I would highly suggest that 6012 look into the use of non-zero defect (for some attributes), and double sampling tables for Class 2 product.

Chris