IPC-600-6012 Archives

January 2009

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Nick Koop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:26:34 -0600
This is certainly a topic that needs to be addressed on several fronts.  To add to Mike's comments below, a PIN has been approved for Rev C of 6013, where among other things, the intention is to incorporate HDI performance requirements into 6013, rendering 6016 obsolete for flex.  There are unresolved issues especially revolving around plating coverage when it comes to microvias.  The plating requirements may not be compatible with the image and etch needs of other HDI features.  Much work needs to be done to cover these topics in a thoughtful manner.

Nick

Nick Koop
Manager of Technology
Minco Products, Inc
Ph 763 586-2846
Mobile 763 245-4825

>>> "Green, Mike" <[log in to unmask]> 1/14/2009 2:22 PM >>>
In talking with Chris an issue is;  Can a laser-drilled hole that is
.008 at the top be classified as a microvia for wrap dimension
requirements?  Have we clearly identified what less than a .006 hole is?

Here is a starting point for discussion:

From IPC-6012 revision B Amendment 1 Table 3-2, Footnote 3.
Blind microvias are vias that <0.15 mm [0.006 in] in diameter and formed
either through laser or mechanical drilling, wet/dry etching, photo
imaging or conductive ink-formation followed by a plating operation. All
performance characteristics for plated holes, as defined in this
document, shall be met. The values given for blind and buried microvias
in Table 3-2 are not applicable for stacked microvias. As of the
publication of this specification, there is little known about this
structure and the reliability results are not consistent with buried and
blind microvias. Stacked microvias may also require different inspection
criteria.

From IPC-T-50 Revision H
Microvia (Build-Up Via) 22.1595
A blind or subsequently buried hole that is < 0.15 mm [< 0.006 in] in
diameter and formed either through laser or mechanical drilling, wet/dry
etching, photo imaging, or conductive ink-formation followed by a
plating operation.

Mike Green
Electronic Packaging Design
LMCO-Sunnyvale
408-743-1635
One Corporation, One Team
"Those who have nothing to follow must lead."  M. Green, 2008