IPC-600-6012 Archives

December 2009

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Thomas E Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:15:02 -0600
I have one customer that violates 2221 recommended conductor to edge
spacing on 20% of their designs. They have amended their procurement
documentation to allow haloing that exceeds the current IPC criteria if
their design places the conductor closer than .!00" from the edge. It is
their responsibility to review the electrical issues. And we all know that
the condition is going to get worse as we move to new materials for
lead-free. They fracture much easier.
Tom Kemp
Rockwell Collins Printed Circuits

Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: IPC-600-6012 <[log in to unmask]>
12/11/2009 10:00 AM
Please respond to
"(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [IPC-600-6012] FAB: Acceptability of Haloing

OK, thanks for all the responses.

For the record, I think the comment was submitted
by someone who was fabricating boards with edge
fingers, and the 50% rule was giving them trouble.

We have another conference call next week,
and I will forward your advice
appreciate your help...
Jack

.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Mike Hill
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Agree fabricators must push back when they see conductors near a routed
or
> drilled edge.
>
> I have attached a real life example I had yesterday (Ipc-6012 class 3A
> board)   The conductor is 2 mils from a NPTH on polyimide material.
Ergo: