IPC-600-6012 Archives

December 2011

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Menuez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:52:27 -0500
Joey,

In my opinion the haloing criteria is not applicable in this case;
because the design allowed copper to go to the edge of the board.  The
fabricator should not suffer the penalties of a questionable design
practice.  (Ok, please don't shoot me for this shot at the designer but
the copper should be pulled back from the edge of the board)

So, I would evaluate this as a non-defined criteria and do an
engineering analysis of whether there will be a performance/reliability
issue with this condition.

Having said this, I don't see any haloing under the pad - just because
you see haloing next to the pad doesn't mean it's present under the pad.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Pete