IPC-600-6012 Archives

April 2008

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Dupriest, Don" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:16:01 -0500
Chris,
Guess I don't remember it coming up.  Maybe it's a trick question right?

Anyway, I guess I would say NO.  T-50 implies a microvia is "drilled
size" of less than 0.006 inch being stated as "formation followed by a
plating operation".  So it would be treated as through hole in 6012 for
plating thickness, wrap, etc.

Make sense?

ref. T-50
Microvia: A blind or subsequently buried hole that is <0.15 mm
[0.006 in] in diameter and formed either through laser or
mechanical drilling, wet/dry etching, photo imaging, or
conductive ink-formation followed by a plating operation.

C. D. (Don) Dupriest
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control - Dallas
Electronics Manufacturing Engineering
SME - PWB/CCA Technology Development
Ph. 972/603-7724 fax: 972/603-0410
Email: [log in to unmask]