IPC-600-6012 Archives

October 2009

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Francis Byle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:35:21 -0500
Interesting... I would not rule out CAF just yet. Confirming CAF with
high confidence can be difficult, but here's a thought: since the
geometry is as large as it is, why not try drilling out the area of the
visible glass bundle between the holes (do this carefully with the
appropriate bit and equipment, i.e. carbide PWB drill in a high-speed
drill press. If removing the suspected conductive path opens the
circuit, you've confirmed growth along that path.
The fact that polyimide laminate is suffering delamination raises
questions as to processing. Polyimide is moisture-sensitive. Are the
boards being baked prior to assembly?

Regards,

Fritz Byle