IPC-600-6012 Archives

March 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:24:45 -0600
The guideline for edge to hole is in IPC-2222, not IPC-2221
in IPC-2222 10.1.1 it says board edge or unplated hole to conductor
shall not be less than Table 6-1 of IPC-2221 plus .4mm
(and Table 6-1 is your minimum clearance based on voltage)

The MINIMUM from Table 6-1 (.05mm) plus .4mm works out to 17mils!

The discussion you remember was regarding IPC-2222 requirement
for haloing, and I'm not sure it was ever resolved, but I remember
we DID change some wording for the next revision.
You could get the new changes from John Perry for your own interest,
but of course it won't mean much until it is officially published.

And the haloing rule it won't help if your designers are disregarding the
clearance guideline, but I'm sure you know THAT (grin)
good luck!
Jack