ENVIRONET Archives

April 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
David Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, David Douthit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:04:57 -0700
Mary,

I have taken a quick look at the site and although it looks good on
paper the math does not work.
To reduce the USA's oil consumption to 5 million barrels of oil a day
would require replacing virtually all vehicles with some form of
alternative fuel.

There are over 200,000,000 vehicles in this country. A DOE study
released Feb. 8th stated that replacing half of these vehicles would
cost over a trillion dollars (if they were even available)!

Biofuels are a net energy loser as well as hydrogen (availablity on this
large of scale is also very very doubtful). The concept of internal
combustion engines surviving the coming oil crisis (except for trains
and very large local transports) is worse than silly it is also a
dangerous waste of resources, time and money.

The fact that this process is "backed" by the DOD and by default major
manufacturers of
internal combustion demonstrates their bias.

Mary please visit the following web site with a calculator in hand:
http://www.peakoil.net
http:www.peakoil.com <http:wwwpeakoil.com>
http://www.eclipsenow.org
http://www.endofsuburbia.com