ENVIRONET Archives

November 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:24:43 +0200
The proportion of C in the form of atmospheric CO2 is >99%. The next
most common gas is CH4, currently ~1.8 ppm, compared with CO2 at ~400
ppm. After that, you have numerous stable HC gases in ppb and ppt and
then the halocarbons. These latter three categories are much worse than
CO2 as GHGs (CH4 is ~35x, rising to PFCs at >10,000x. The effect of
methane and other less stable HCs is variable according to the OH
radical concentration, which is also variable according to the weather
(e.g., high in a tropical rainforest after an intense storm, low in the
Arabian desert). This is why methane is often quoted as a range of
20-50x worse than CO2.

Particulate carbon is negligible in its effect; if it does not
precipitate out by gravity, it is usually rained out within a day or
two. This is amply demonstrated by the "blue moon" effect. If there is a
lot of particulate carbon at tropopausal levels, the moon acquires a
blue tinge. This happens, well, once in a blue moon! In my 73 years I
can recall having seen two. The really pronounced one was, I think, in
1949, when the sun also turned blue, even rarer, a weird phenomenon. It
was caused by a really massive forest fire in Canada and the smoke was
caught in the jetstream and transported to North Britain in a couple of
days. It lasted less than a day, which shows the particulate matter
simply falls to earth.

CO2 levels do vary locally, even diurnally, but the figures that are
used are the annual averages, so that seasonal and diurnal variations
are discounted. The interesting thing is that the annual averages are
constant to within ±5 ppm at every observatory in the world (including
the Mauna Loa one you cite, which has been doing the most intensive CO2
research since 1957) and that they all follow the same upward curve [see
Keeling, Callendar, Machta, Broecker and others) at increases of ~1.5
ppm/year. Kellogg and Schware predict we'll hit the 500 ppm level
between 2015 and 2035 (the curve is non-linear) if we continue burning
fossil fuels "business as usual".

I must disagree with Grubler, as there is no doubt that human activity
accounts for most of the increase of CO2 levels from 280 ppm in 1800 to
about 400 ppm today. This is a 43% increase which is far too much to be
lost in empirical errors, especially when it ties in so closely to the
tonnage of fossil fuels consumed, bearing in mind the natural carbon
cycle. Even worse is the increase of CH4, from 800 ppb to ~1800 ppb,
today, an increase of 225% due to increased areas of rice paddies,
enteric fermentation, leaks from natural gas installations, deliberate
biomass burning and landfills, despite reduced natural methane from
wetlands (marsh drainage) and termites. The tragedy of this is that CO2
is much preferable to CH4 and man's activities are increasingly
converting the carbon in CO2 to CH4.

The numbers I quote in this message ARE derived with scientific
certainty, except for the 500 ppm predictions which are an extrapolation
of known data. Analysis of gases in air can be done with great
precision. Where there may be a small margin of error is in the
**effect** that these gases may have in the long term.

I don't really know why I waste my time arguing the toss with you. We
all know that we cannot pump pollutants into any natural cyclic system
without upsetting the equilibrium. We cannot cause ~7 Gt of additional C
to be pumped into the air because of using fossil fuels, compounded by
deforestation, each year, when the total global atmospheric C is only
750 Gt today. We have been doing this for 150++ years and it is entirely
likely that what man has added altogether in that time exceeds what was
there in the first place, before the industrial revolution (of course,
some of extra has been absorbed into the natural carbon cycle, in the
meanwhile, but ~43% of today's total remains). If you cannot see this as
fact, then your head must be buried in the sand, up to your groin.

Brian

--
Please note new e-mail address [log in to unmask]