ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:52:20 +0200
Chuck

The point I was trying to make is that atmospheric science is far too
complex, involving about 20 different disciplines, for even the best
scientists to understand all of it. I maintain that politicians (eg.,
Gore) and journalists (eg., Durkin) who have no scientific background
cannot possibly have anything but a distorted view based on snippets of
information, misinformation and disinformation.

I have worked on atmospheric science for close on 20 years (mainly on
ozone depletion, which overlaps into climate change). I have a damn good
idea what is happening with the air we breathe and its consequences. I
have worked with many of the scientists of different disciplines, who
have formulated the forthcoming report. I know of some of the few
weaknesses of the current modelling and these are mainly of a local
micro- or mini-climate effect, such as certain transient orographical
phenomena, including katabatic wind patterns. As it so happens, I'm
currently studying, with the help of a prof in Atlanta, the orographical
effects of weather on this island, which is too small to make much more
than a small blip in the modelling used for climate determination. Of
course, weather isn't climate but they are interdependent.

Unfortunately, being of Celtic origin, I react very easily to what I
perceive as being wrong: my big fault! As a result, I may swing too far
away in the opposite direction. It is too easy to let emotions take
control over cold scientific reasoning. This is why I have taken very
negative views of both Gore's and Durkin's films, even though they are
diametrically opposed in their basic messages. Neither conveys the truth
as it is known. The worst part of Gore's affair was certainly his
one-year update, where he has really gone out on a limb onto very shaky
ground (please consider the deliberate mixed metaphor!!!). The worst
part of Durkin's was certainly the obvious (to those who know) one-line
out-of-context quotations combined with the use of many non-scientific
interlocutors, who have no more clue about climate change than what they
have read in the popular press. Gore and Durkin both have agenda: the
first would seem to be to pip Hillary at the post, the second to boost
his self-importance by taking the diametrically opposed view on many
subjects and creating controversy in the form of storms in a teacup.
Despite what I sometimes write in the heat of the moment, I'm at heart a
moderate and I base my opinions on what I derive from the best
scientific knowledge available (and comprehensible!) to me. This is why
I have never taken an ecopolitical stand and why, even though I consider
myself an environmentalist and a pragmatist, I have often argued against
ecologists, tree-huggers and others (e.g., RoHS, nPB, nuclear energy
etc.). At other times, I have not been able to form any opinion on
controversial subjects, as I have not been able to understand the
science involved, such as in GM crops or stem cell research. Please have
a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/6460635.stm - I concur
entirely with what these two profs are saying.

Brian