ENVIRONET Archives

May 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 09:35:02 +0300
And why should politicians think globally, when their electorate is
local? If GWB had to appeal to a global electorate, do you think he
would have stood a chance for re-election (or, for that matter, first
time round)? This, I believe, is one of the ills of modern society: the
resentment against one country for influencing what happens in another,
without any representation of the public opinion in the latter. This is
also the weakness of the UN, in that it is an undemocratic club that
represents mostly the thinking of the governments of the permanent
members of the SC and not that of the global populace. If the SC were
globally elected, don't you think their decisions would be very
different (think Darfur, Zimbabwe, Iraq, Iran, N. Korea, Palestine
etc.)? (If only to ensure they were re-elected, next time round!)

Brian