ENVIRONET Archives

January 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:00:56 -0800
First. Let me thank Brian Ellis for pointing out the mistake in my earlier
posting about carbon monoxide, he is absolutely right. At the right levels CO is
deadly. Mea culpa.

Regarding, things warming up and penguins ...
I quoted an article that gave the sources "Dr. John Christy" and "Dr. Roy
Spencer";
their credentials "professor of atmospheric science and director of the Earth
System Science Center at The University of Alabama in Huntsville" and "a
principal research scientist in UAH's Earth System Science Center";
the source of the data relied upon "instruments aboard NOAA satellites."
and their affiliations "an ongoing joint project between UAH, NOAA and NASA".

The penguin article quotes "Dean Peterson" a "U.S. scientist working for the NZ
agency"  as "estimating" "that penguins were taking days to make the round
trip".
We are not told what Mr. Peterson's credentials or affiliations are, but I have
no doubt that, regardless of his credentials, he is capable of accurately
describing the time it takes the penguins to make their trips to the sea and the
fact that they are "quite exhausted" - which is all the article attributes to
him.
The article says "Researchers say large chunks of the Antarctic ice sheet are
breaking off for several reasons, including global WARMING [my emphasis - cd]".

Who are these researchers; what are their credentials; what, in particular, are
they researching; what are their affiliations? What are the "several reasons"
for the ice sheets to break off and to what extent is GW a cause?  Is Mr.
Peterson there to study the mating habits of penguins or the break up of the
Antarctic?

The only fact I derive from the article is that there are a lot of tired and
hungry penguins in Anarctica, and I do feel sorry for them, but beyond that the
article does nothing to advance the climate change debate.

Chuck Dolci