ENVIRONET Archives

November 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:06:34 +0200
Chuck

I don't back you up either on your attack on this article or on the
medium carrying it.

First of all, Nature is not a magazine but a respected scientific
journal. The whole process of establishing a scientific finding usually
starts with a hypothesis. For example, Molina and Rowlands published -
in this same journal, Nature - their startling theory that CFCs could
cause ozone-depletion in 1974, long before there was any scientific
observation to back up their hypothesis. Nevertheless, it did prove
true, scientifically confirmed by both modelling and empirical
observations. Notwithstanding, it was wisely acted upon by the
precautionary principle; even the Vienna Convention and the Montreal
Protocol were signed before we had the science. When the science did
arrive, it showed the situation was far worse than had been foreseen and
the Montreal Protocol had to be seriously tightened with a faster and
more draconian phase-out schedule.

Secondly, this is a short news communication and has not been published
as a peer-reviewed paper. Notwithstanding, the conditional tense abounds
and it clearly demonstrates its hypothetical nature. Readers are able to
draw their own conclusions; you have drawn yours as a naysayer, while
others, like myself as ayesayers, may be alarmed. You are entitled to
your opinion, just as much as I am, but it certainly does not serve your
cause to be so vituperative against both the substance and the form of
the article.

Thirdly, in this day and age, in cases like this, where there may be a
risk of irreversible damage, it has become usual to apply the
precautionary principle. That is to assume, if there are reasonable
grounds, the worst and to take strong measures to combat the supposed
"evil". If it is later shown that this was overkill, then the worst that
has happened is that we have wasted some money. OTOH, if the situation
is as bad, or worse, than has been painted, then that plant that may
save thousands from a painful and premature death (including perhaps
yourself), may have been saved from extinction, to put it on an
emotional note. The problem is also that a single plant type is not an
isolated item, but a part of a biotope. Other species, such as fungi and
insects, may depend on it and these may be part of a much more important
food chain. Every single species that we lose, through the inconsiderate
action of man, whether deliberately or inadvertently, is a loss for the
whole world. I have personally witnessed how this island has been raped
over the last 50 years. It is estimated that about 40% of plant species
have disappeared, or nearly so, and probably as many animal species
(more, if you count insects). In some cases, the niche has become
occupied by more harmful species. Control of this necessitates the use
of more herbicides and insecticides that kill good and bad
indiscriminately and pollute our ecosystems.

In other words, the terms of our short tenancy on our planet should
include "thou shalt not cause harm to living things that may thus be
endangered and thou shalt do everything in thy power to ensure that they
survive".

That having been said, humans are not responsible for all extinctions
and I have little doubt that species die off from natural causes every
day. After all, you can hardly blame us for the dinosaurs! It is
probable that natural genetic mutations generate new species every day,
as well. Nature is a melting pot in constant movement. Humans do not
have the right to add or remove species from that pot or play at
sorcerers' apprentices.

Best regards,

Brian