ENVIRONET Archives

November 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:36:50 +0200
The common factor between ODSs and GHGs (and other types of pollution)
is that their reduction both require capital, know-how and experience
passed from developed to developing nations for the aims to be achieved.
Under the Montreal Protocol, over $2.1 billion has been granted to 143
developing countries to help them phase out ODSs. This has allowed
236,000 OD tonnes from consumption and 157,000 OD tonnes from
manufacture to be saved. Each of the 5520 projects has also received
technical, as well as financial aid.

Strangely enough, the Montreal Protocol has, to date, had a greater
beneficial change to greenhouse gas emissions than the Kyoto Protocol
(CFCs are also strong GHGs), to an estimated tune of about 11.7 Gt CO2
equivalent/year. Comparatively little technical or financial aid has
been offered to developing countries, which are actively increasing
their CO2 emissions, rather than decreasing.

As you rightly point out, reducing GHG emissions is largely a political
matter. Two important developed countries have, up until recently,
refused to acknowledge that there is a problem and have said that, if
indeed there is one, it is the developing nations that are major
contributors, especially China and India. But those two countries have
done bugger-all to help China and India face the problem by transferring
technology (perhaps because they have none, themselves). OTOH, Japan and
the EU have been struggling to do so -- and falling behind on their own
targets. IMO, it requires another multilateral funding to aid the
technological transfer, maybe filled from fines imposed on developed
countries that fall behind on preset targets.

Another lesson we can learn from Montreal is to ban imports of products
involving GHG emissions (including transport) from countries which are
not signatory to the post-Kyoto treaty or have not ratified it. This was
a very effective form of blackmail and is one reason why 191 out of 193
UN member-nations have signed up to Montreal. (I think the Holy See is
one of the non-signatories but has observer status; to be cynical, they
should observe Kyoto, as a lot of hot air comes from the Vatican!!!)

I agree that Montreal and Kyoto are an ocean apart, but that does not
mean that we cannot learn lessons, one from the other.

Brian