ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:24:10 +0300
Steve Andersen, a good friend of mine, of the US EPA, mentioned in his
book, Protecting the Ozone Layer, brought up the notion of "ozone
fatigue" whereby the public got fed up with the media advocating ozone
protection too much and thus tended to lose interest, even though the
fight to protect the ozone layer is not yet won.

I suggest that we are about to enter an era of "climate change fatigue",
where too much is being drummed into our senses by the media, whether
the arguments are pro or con. When reading the paper or watching the
news on TV, I admit I'm suffering from "Iraq fatigue" and "Middle-East
fatigue". Reading the June National Geographic, I started to feel the
same way about climate change, even though my studies have not changed
my views, in any way.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Brian