ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"MacFadden, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MacFadden, Todd
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:36:19 -0400
Hi Gordon.

I think you misinterpreted what I wrote:

"If your point in posting this was to reinforce the theme you are
constantly expounding - that grand, sweeping statements of position on a
given issue made without factual basis are utterly dismissible - you
have chosen an excellent example."

I was not at all claiming that YOU are prone to making generalizations
without factual reinforcement. Quite the contrary. I have come to know
you over the years on these forums as someone whose painstaking
insistence on facts and data has challenged me - and probably others -
to question my own assumptions and probe much deeper into these types of
issues. I have always appreciated that and I greatly respect you for it.

What I was trying to say (perhaps with a bit more irony than necessary)
was that I was surprised you had posted an essay brimming with
superlative (the "biggest threat to freedom"), invective ("Malthusian
pessimists"), and melodrama ("dictates of political correctness
...imposed upon us") without commenting on the complete lack of
supporting evidence for any of it. I was waiting for you to impugn
Klaus' appeal for truth over propaganda by deconstructing any one of his
propagandistic sentences. For instance:

"[Top-class scientists] protest against the arrogance of those who
advocate the global warming hypothesis and relate it to human
activities."

The scientific evidence we have about climate change can only suggest -
it cannot prove - that human activities contribute to climate change.
Given that lack of confidence, it is sheer propaganda to promote a
position of certainty (whether completely promoting or completely
dismissing human contribution).

But given the IPCC conclusion that this era of global warming "is
unlikely to be entirely natural in origin" and "the balance of evidence
suggests a discernible human influence of the global climate," it is
neither arrogant nor imprudent to advocate actions to curb those human
activities. It would be the height of arrogance to wait until we had
100% certainty before taking action.

Brian Ellis said it best that the precautionary principle "will not
always be right, any more than it will always be wrong." But to
completely dismiss the contributions of humans shows a marked disdain
for science. Talk about doctrinal totalitarianism...

Kindest regards,
Todd