ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"MacFadden, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MacFadden, Todd
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:24:48 -0400
Gordon wrote:

"To deprecate or ignore the benefits of economic
growth and technological progress seems pretty pessimistic to me."

Where are your facts to back up the assumption that taking steps to curb
human contributions of greenhouse gases is going to impede long-term
economic progress and preclude technological advances? Please convince
me how NOT taking steps to curb our dependency on fossil fuels -
maintaining the status quo - represents progress or technological
innovation? I would argue that a society that directly and indirectly
subsidizes much of its fossil-fuel infrastructure - exploration,
production, pipelines, etc. - hardly represents the "free society" that
you and Klaus blithely aspire to.

Gordon wrote:

"Where, outside of mathematics and the physical sciences, is there ever
one hundred percent certainty?"

I agree 100%. Hence the need for "scientific consensus." Thank you for
helping make my point.

Have a great day.
Todd MacFadden