ENVIRONET Archives

September 2008

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:00:34 +0300
While walking the dog (wasteful luxury?), I was mulling over your
message and particularly about the EU politicians. This comment implied
that the EU was responsible for bad restrictive legislation, if I
inferred correctly. This is not entirely true:

1. Sweden (much more radical than the EU) introduced legislation to ban
deca-BDE. A 10-year risk assessment of the EU deemed the substance to be
acceptable and forced Sweden to drop its ban.

2. Some large companies, such as Sony and Dell etc., tried to impose
halogen-free laminates in their products and by their combined weight
(possibly >50% of world electronics assemblies) to force the industry to
go hal-free. As their proposed laminate was ~twice the price of FR-4 and
was made only in Japan, this move was viewed badly by the EU and
possibly by the WTO as breaching competitiveness rules. The EU did an
"exhaustive" series of tests on TBBPA for environmental and human health
risks and have stated that its use as a monomer for epoxy resins for
laminate manufacture is safe. Ordinary FR-4 is thus potentially saved by
the EU.

OTOH, don't get me started on RoHS or REACH!!!!

Brian