ENVIRONET Archives

February 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:43:34 +0200
I found a newspaper article which is reproduced at
http://www.bnellis.com/kyoto/ giving a nation-by-nation run-down on many
state's progress under Kyoto. (Apologies for OCR formatting errors!)

Points which stand out:
1. All the 12 countries which have made the best progress (25-65%
reduction in GHG emissions) are in Eastern Europe. There are many
reasons behind this: economic reforms; EU aid to help these countries
develop clean industry; EU pressure to close the most polluting plants etc.
2. Ignoring Monaco, which is too small to be significant, the top 4
countries with the worst increase in emissions are those European
countries which have benefited from much development aid.
3. The tonnes per capita column is the most interesting. Ignoring
Luxembourg, which is also too small to be significant (half-a-dozen more
cars filling up will almost double the enissions figures!) the worst
offenders in absolute terms are
USA 19.8 t/capita
Australia 18.0
Canada 14.2
4. Countries with a standard of living comparable with the above 3 include
Sweden 5.3 t/capita
Switzerland 5.4
France 6.2
5. If we average the three countries in each of 3. and 4. above, we get
17.3 and 5.6 respectively, a ratio of about 3:1. Even allowing for
different life styles, this shows that, IMHO, we do not need to be gross
emitters to have an excellent standard of living.
6. Is it coincidence that the two countries with the highest per capita
consumption just extraordinarily happen to be the two developed
countries which opted out of Kyoto and also use coal for >50% of their
electricity production?
7. Unfortunately, the table doesn't give the overall per capita
emissions for the EU as a whole, but, based on a population of 460
million, it should average about 8.9, less than half that of the other
large Union in N. America.

Comments welcome!

Brian