ENVIRONET Archives

November 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:55:59 +0200
Chuck

You are a master at throwing in red herrings! To start with, let's keep
ourselves to the issue and ignore your irrelevancies such as your
misinterpretation of the precautionary principle, genetically modified
food, DDT and your other soap box subjects (I'll come back to them later).

Scientific advances are either accidental (e.g., synthesis of urea
formaldehyde, discovery of the antibiotic effects of penicillin etc.),
which I'll ignore here, or the result of a process that starts with
hypothesis. This hypothesis is then put to test by experimentation,
tests and measurements until proof confirming or denying the hypothesis
is obtained, at which time, it becomes scientific fact. Nature, and
other respected scientific journals, have several sets of criteria to
determine what they publish (and I speak from experience here, as a
contributing editor to several journals). The full blown paper goes
through a long and severe peer review process and must be considered as
representing the thoughts of the best scientists in the world in their
respected fields. The subject may be hypothetical, just as much as
proven science, but it must be backed up by best knowledge and a logical
sequence of thought. Then there are short communications. These may or
may not be peer reviewed (usually only if they appear very
controversial). The next stage are news itams (and I suggest that your
item probably falls into this category), which are usually printed
verbatim, or are trimmed down to fit available space. These are never
peer reviewed and can represent fact, hypothesis or opinion. There are
also guest editorials which are generally a forum for opinion. Finally,
there are letters which complete the forum for opinion but may also
represent hypothesis or fact.

You obviously would wish such journals to publish only proven scientific
fact. In this case, the scientific world would be much poorer as it
would leave the founded hypothesis to be published in such popular
magazines as Scientific American, New Scientist or, God forbid, Popular
Science.

I'll go back to Molina and Rowland's landmark hypothesis. If Nature had
not published this in 1974, as a full paper, then it is probable that
the whole process leading to the Montreal Protocol and the establishment
of the scientific proof that chlorine atoms knocked off covalent bonds
of some organic molecules reaching 8-50 km altitude, 14 years later
would, at the best, been delayed or at the worst, never happened. As it
is, it is still touch and go whether we will suffer undue undesirable
effects in the next few decades. I strongly recommend you read
"Protecting the Ozone Layer" by Andersen and Sarma (recently published).
This will give you an insight into the facts and processes from
hypothesis to proof, as well as the application of the precautionary
principle in a scientifico-political context.

-----------

OK: the precautionary principle. This is best illustrated by the
pharmaceutical industry. A new molecule must go through a whole series
of tests before it can be sold to the general public, a process that can
take many years. Why? Remember thalidomide? Even so, compromises are
made, for practical reasons, and new side-effects are occasionally
recorded after the drugs are marketed, but the process is a reasonable
application of the precautionary principle and probably filters out 99%
of the potential negative effects. A friend of mine contracted
trypanasomia (Rhodesian sleeping sickness) and required an arsenic-based
drug which saved his life. I remember reading the paper that was packed
with the capsules. I can't quote it verbatim but it listed the following
under contra-indications:
- severe permanent heart, liver and kidney lesions are possible
- considerable lesions to the cerebral cortex and other parts of the brain
- possible paralysis of the motor nerves
- modifications to the skin and hair
- death
- the medical profession will understand that these contra-indications
may be preferable to the certain outcome of death if the disease is not
treated.

I agree that this anecdote is a red herring, but is an illustration of
the lesser evil applied to the precautionary principle, as was the
Montreal Protocol, and as would be if species are saved from extinction
by man's mistaken belief that he has dominion over other living things.
I would much rather spend big bucks in saving species than, for example,
knocking the bejabers out of the Iraqis or the Palestinians, to resolve
nothing.

_______

As for GMOs, if any country wishes to apply the precautionary principle,
that is their right - or do you deny that? There is a BIG difference
between using GMOs in famine-stricken African countries and places like
the USA. What percentage of the total US diet is taken up by, say, GM
corn? 1%, 2%? What percentage of a starving African's diet would be?
90%, 95%? Do we know whether this is likely to have an effect, which has
not been foreseen? Similarly, do we know whether the introduction of a
massive quantity of sterile corn is likely to have an effect on the poor
native crops? I, personally, tend towards not being the sorcerer's
apprentice, but I'm not a farmer. I tend to minimise using x-icides in
my garden, especially on veggies, even if my aubergines have skin
lesions due to snails and I have a few grapes which are attacked by
fungus. But I must use insecticide on my peaches and nectarines during
the growing stage, if I am to have any fruit at all (thanks to DDT
killing the insects' natural predators, while rendering themselves
immune to the stuff).

---------------

This brings me to DDT. Rather than spend time, please let me quote
verbatim a message I sent to someone on this subject a few days ago:

QUOTE STARTS

I can't agree with you about the effect on other species: I have seen
this island's ecosystems totally changed during the time that the
anti-malarial action was taking place. I agree that it was probable that
the efforts made to eradicate the disease were probably exaggerated
(e.g., the spraying took place in places where malaria was not endemic,
such as in the mountains) and this caused more harm than good, but the
aim was TOTAL eradication. This meant that many predatory invertebrates
were killed as well as the mossies, so that resistant species of other
insects could develop. In the early 1950s, various species of the
insectivorous praying mantis were very common (probably at least 6
species and seen daily). Today, if I see half-a-dozen per year of just
one small species, this would be exceptional. Other species I see fewer
of are spiders, geckos, frogs, lizards and chameleons, all
insectivorous. This is not because of urban development, as I live in
the country with my garden backing onto several sq km of totally wild
government-owned forest and garrigue land with several biotopes. Re
frogs, I have made a mini-study of the Hyla arborea ssp savignii (spelt
wrong in the article ** in the list below), as we have inadvertently a
large colony of them actually in the garden and even on our patio. I've
also seen the Green Toad in our garden on occasion. I'm planning to
build an aquatic biotope to study the breeding habits of both species
better and increase their numbers in the hopes of reducing our
dependence on insecticides to control no-see'ums indoors and fruit pests
outdoors. Their tadpoles are particularly voracious! The adult Hyla is
not over effective, as they ignore small insects. Their favourite prey
seems to be small moths and similar-sized beasties and they will easily
eat one per hour, under favourable conditions. Geckos are also
interesting and go especially for the crane fly. I hope the aquatic
feature will also attract dragon and damsel flies. We occasionally see
them migrating, but I don't think there are any residents within a
couple of km or so from here.

My last message was composed mainly out of my head (I checked the
molecular structure in a book). However, your reply incited me to do a
short 'Net search. There are thousands of articles on DDT, which I admit
seems to be quite a controversial subject (I had not realised it and
thank you for bringing this to my attention). I attach below a list of a
few that seem interesting, especially with regard to insect-resistance
to the substance (you gave me doubts in your message, but I see that it
is, in fact, so).

Having read le pour and le contre, please allow me to take a stand:
- DDT could be useful for eradicating *local* populations of
disease-bearing insects in undeveloped countries, provided that: a) it
is proven that the insects are not resistant to it; b) only the breeding
grounds of the insect are identified and treated; c) it be used as a
single, short-term (e.g., < 1 year) intensive blitz on the insect over a
maximum of 3 broods; d) that the blitz be supervised by scientifically
competent persons; e) other endemic species be avoided as much as
possible; f) every effort be made to avoid it entering into food chains;
g) any residual insect "colonies" be eliminated by other means.
- In the event of local malarial conditions, other means of control,
such as marsh drainage, should be applied simultaneously, provided that
there is no danger to other endemic protected species.
- I would be very opposed to its wide-scale use in any country, such as
was done in Cyprus in the 1950s.
- I would be opposed to its use on any long-term plan or in any other
conditions than above, especially in agriculture or to reduce
nuisance-value but harmless insects.
- I would be especially opposed to its use as a follow-up of a previous
blitz.
- I would be generally opposed to its use in developed countries, other
than for very exceptional emergency measures on a local scale.
- I would be very forcefully opposed, indeed, to its sale to the public
in any country. In fact, it would be ideal if each batch made were to be
accompanied by an expert in its use, until it had all been used under
his strict control!

I agree that there is no black or white in this subject (the same as I
am reluctantly forced to use other insecticides in the house and garden)
but I do believe that such a persistent insecticide that loses its
effectiveness and is known to cause harm should be used only under
strictly defined conditions. This would be analogous to the permitted
use of CFCs and other ozone-depleting chemicals under the Essential Uses
Exemption clauses of the Montreal Protocol, where 4 strict criteria must
be shown to apply before an Exemption is granted.

QUOTE ENDS

Best regards,

Brian