ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"Davy, Gordon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Davy, Gordon
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:52:34 -0400
Pratap,

Your response to the data presented is to challenge the motivation of
the data providers, but not the data themselves. You are not the only
one on this forum who has posted this kind of rebuttal. If you disagree
with the data, please present data (or at least arguments) of your own,
as has Brian.

I have posted many challenges to environmental activists that assail
their motives, but I present data to back up what I have to say, and ask
that readers decide on the basis of the facts I present. Often what I
have to say is that the activists have no data, so I am somewhat
sensitive to unsupported claims - by anyone.

Consider the situation for those who believe that their point of view is
not getting heard. How are they supposed to get it heard, if their
motives are going to be impugned, implying that it doesn't matter what
they have to say, since they are obviously biased and "have an agenda"?

Following your example, I will question your motive for your challenging
their motive. Do you want people who have something to say that you
disagree with to not have an opportunity to get it heard? Do you hope
that claiming that they "have an agenda" will cause the undecided to
ignore them, lest they be misled? Are you angry at Steve Gregory for
bringing this story to our attention?

Gordon Davy