ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:23:33 -0500
On page-346, back in the Q & A section of the report the question was
raised about funding:

Question: Dear Mr. Spinella,

Interesting report!
Can you tell us for which client you carried out the 2-year
investigation?
At least what industry that client is in?

Regards, Bob

Answer: This was not done for any client or subscriber or organization
outside of CNW. We
funded the research ourselves without the knowledge of or input from any
outside group,
organization or company.

Thanks for writing. As you can imagine, we've received hundreds of
emails and letters about the
Dust to Dust report.

To your question: We funded the research ourselves. In fact, no outside
organization was aware
of the goal of the research until we announced the initial findings. It
was a year in the planning
and two years in execution with updated data completed on cy2005 sales
in January.

An expanded report will be issued to subscribers in about a week with
public access (no charge)
by mid-May or so.

Like all of our research, we perform it and make it available to
subscribers. So technically, they
fund the work. The nub of this idea began in the middle 1970s when I was
publishing an electric
vehicle newsletter in Los Angeles and drove an battery-powered Renault
to and from work on
LA freeways. (26 miles in each direction; top speed around 70 mph.
Unfortunately, not
simultaneously.) Photos attached. Note that there's a Chevette in the
garage, as well. Egads,
what was I thinking.

At that time, many engineers I interviewed talked about the energy costs
of manufacturing
conventional ICE powered vehicles vs. battery powered. In virtually all
cases, the energy
argument was fully against battery power. Needless to say, that notion
stuck and lo these many
years later, I thought it was time to visit the issue again, only on as
large a scale as possible.
In all there were nearly 4,000 data points per vehicle that needed to be
addressed in a useful
"dust to dust" energy-use comparison. For obvious reasons, we needed to
reduce this information
into bite-size pieces and put the comparisons into something average
consumers could relate to.
(Gigajuelles certainly wasn't the answer.) We selected "dollars per
mile." More on that in the
report.

I've put you on the list to be notified when the expanded report is
published.