ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:55:17 +0200
Steve,

I have nothing against what you says that NASA says. Yes, there can be
sonme very severe positive feedback loops and some powerful negative
feedback loops as well. I agree that climate change is not 100%
man-made, I never said it was. I thought I had explained this in my web
page at http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv/files/climate_change.htm - the
three IPCC graphs (old) there show the role played by natural and
anthropogenic factors, showing that neither, alone, can account for the
observations but, combined, they do. These graphs have now been much
refined. If you look at the top graph in Fig. SPM-3 on p. 17 and Fig.
SPM-7 on p. 21 for the 20th c. (ignore the scenario predictions), you
will see that the modelling fit is better, especially for 1960 onwards.

If you compare the contents of your linked NASA article with the IPCC
2007 Summary, every point in it has been addressed in the latter, and
will be, in much more detail, with the full report next month. NASA and
ESA contribute a lot to the IPCC scientific data processing along with
hundreds of other organisations world-wide. I'm sorry but your arguments
with each iteration of posts seem to ignore what the IPCC have done or
are you just trying to be a devil's advocate? Yes, there are naysayers,
but there are still people who believe the earth is flat and is the
centre of the universe with the sun and everything else orbiting round it.

As for the non-substantiation of my first post today, surely you must
see that I made the effort to do just this in my second post?

Climate change is, indeed, a very complex subject involving at least 20
different scientific disciplines. I don't believe any single person can
know everything about it or even more than a mere fraction of the
knowledge that has to be synthesised together to produce the IPCC
report. This is why more than 1500 scientists were involved in the
study, research and reporting. In my case, I have a reasonably good but
very superficial knowledge of the overall process but please don't ask
me to go into such details as to, for example, the mathematical
modelling of the effects of space weather or the effects of submarine
fumaroles, because I simply have not the foggiest idea. Nevertheless,
from my studies of the atmosphere (it may interest you to know I even
have my own weather station), I have a "very likely" confidence that man
is contributing largely to climate change, mainly because of his use of
fossil fuels. As a result, I put my money (and remember I'm a Scotsman!)
where my mouth is by doing everything I reasonably can to reduce my
carbon footprint. This will not benefit me in any way, as I'm now 75 and
will long be sucking dandelions by the roots before any effect can be
felt, but it is an investment for my grandchildren and, I hope, their
future children and generations to come. If everyone did the same, then,
perhaps, the world will be a better place to live in before 2100.

Please have a look round my website http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv/ - it
contains a series of >20 essays on environmental and energy matters,
written for people like yourself, without vast detail but with a
sufficient background package and intelligence to understand my points.

Brian