ENVIRONET Archives

May 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 10:55:36 +0300
Of course people and businesses are not maximising their economic self
interest. They look for the short-term profit, not the economy. Why
spend $3 on a light bulb when a 30-cent one would do the job? The fact
that it consumes only 25% of the juice and lasts 6 times longer is not
material, nor is the fact that, over 10 years, your 30 c bulb will cost
you 3 times as much in replacement bulbs and electric power.

Even less so is the economical car; downsizing from a SUV consuming 15
l/100 km to a conventional car consuming 10 l/100 km is a great
ego-wrench, although the latter is half the price at, say, $18,000, but
it gives that great feel-good feeling that one is doing their bit for
the environment. But going the extra mile to an economical car at, say,
$25,000, consuming 5 l/100 km, is not worth the extra 7 grand, because
fuel is still dirt cheap at $3/gallon. You can buy nearly 2,500 gallons
for the extra cost, can't you? The fact that fuel may cost $5/gallon in
2 years and $10/gallon in 5 years is not foreseeable (probably more if
some idiot decides to turn Iran into glass).

In 1970, my erstwhile boss built a new factory. The architect cut costs
by having virtually no insulation, in a place where winter temps could
drop to -20°C on occasion. Instead, he put in the two biggest heating
oil tanks in French-speaking Switzerland: after all, the oil cost only
about CHF 6/100 l, so he could buy the 60,000 l to fill the tanks for
just CHF 3,600 and that would just about last the winter for the same
cost as a middle-management guy's salary for 1 month. In 1974, the price
of oil octupled with the crisis. Heating became a heavy charge. Today,
his son is paying CHF 75/100 l. I left the company in 1974 but I did a
rough calculation before I left that, had he paid for extra insulation
at the construction, he would have been in profit in 18 months at the
1974 prices. Today, his son is still heating the air outside his factory
and globally for the extra CO2 he produces. Even today, architects
hesitate to up the cost of a construction by adding good insulation.

Why can we see no farther than the tips of our noses?

Brian

PS I'm told my hybrid car arrives on the island today, after 7 months of
waiting for it! Yesterday, I replaced my 17 year-old 260 W TV with a 105
W one (it had finally rendered its soul to its maker, Sanyo!).