ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:09:42 +0300
Gordon

A long diatribe that is peppered with errors of fact and reasoning, I'm
afraid, amongst a good background. Unfortunately, I have no time to
respond to it. This is dangerous argumentation. Are we supposed to
accept what you say, ignoring the errors, which could therefore be
propagated, or are we supposed to say you have no credibility because
you have made some errors? Many of the persons reading it may have
insufficient knowledge to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

I will take you, or rather Klaus, up on one sentence:
"In his first sentence he cites three examples of what
he takes to be political correctness: Gore's film, the Stern report, and
the fourth report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change."
How can these three documents be compared? Gore's film is purely
political with no first-hand science. It is even against the grain in
most of the Anglo-Saxon world, so how can it be politically correct? The
Stern report is an economical analysis. Economics and politics are often
bedmates, granted, but it is foolhardy to call it "politically correct"
when it tries to discuss the consequences of different scenarios. The
fact that it was commissioned by the government (at a time before Blair
turned his coat to the green side, out of expediency) is neither here
nor there. As for the IPCC report being politically correct, this is
just risible: the panel is the one organ that has attempted to make an
honest scientific assessment of ALL the possibilities from all the
available data. It is very frank when it says where data are
insufficient and are a cause for doubt. It is neither politically
correct nor incorrect; it is a statement of fact as it is known. The
same cannot be said of media and politicians and many NGOs who make up
arguments to suit their respective agenda.

Brian