ENVIRONET Archives

May 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 08:22:08 -0500
Hi Joe, Brian, EnviroNetrs'

Thanks Joe, I don't have or spend enough time reading the Economist.
I have communicated with at least one of them when I was trying and failed
to get NPR Science Friday to do a piece on Global Warming back a few years
ago.

<Of course people and businesses are not maximising their economic self
interest. They look for the short-term profit, not the economy. Why
spend $3 on a light bulb when a 30-cent one would do the job? The fact
that it consumes only 25% of the juice and lasts 6 times longer is not
material, nor is the fact that, over 10 years, your 30 c bulb will cost
you 3 times as much in replacement bulbs and electric power.>

In Joe's posting you will note that economists' seemed concerned that
economics by itself should solve this problem and it has failed.  I would
disagree with them since economics easily predicts overuse, and misuse of all
things as part of the economic cycle, and financial reporting. So since they
are economists, the economists go on a pathway of using only their selective
bag of tricks to manipulate the masses.

Economically we can see in Brian's post a normal human rationale for only
thinking in the short term and using 2 year planning or the next quarter's
report to Wall Street, LondonStock, , , etc.

We see the same thing with the media on a grander scale as they go this way
and that to create public readership and excitement.

Now we have this Climate Change Group doing the same by first giving us
GLOOM and doom and then striving to make it seem easy. They too are failing
the world.  From the story:   "Wolf, Wolf", as the boy who wants company,
goes running back to the village one too many times before the real wolf is
upon the sheep.

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave
Yours in Engineering, Dave