ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:31:45 -0500
Brian,

In asking me that question, it seems to me that you're insinuating that
if I read it, that should be it, I should have no more questions. The
IPCC report is the be all, and end all to anything that has to do with
global warming. I'm not ready to say that yet...

If the IPCC is gospel, why is there so many that have differing views?
Is everybody that has a different view lying?

Here's a quote from the UK House of Lords Science and Economic Analysis
and Report on IPCC for the G-8 Summit, July 2005:

"We have some concerns about the objectivity of the IPCC process, with
some of its emissions scenarios and summary documentation apparently
influenced by political considerations. There are significant doubts
about some aspects of the IPCC's emissions scenario exercise, in
particular, the high emissions scenarios. The Government should press
the IPCC to change their approach. There are some positive aspects to
global warming and these appear to have been played down in the IPCC
reports; the Government should press the IPCC to reflect in a more
balanced way the costs and benefits of climate change. The Government
should press the IPCC for better estimates of the monetary costs of
global warming damage and for explicit monetary comparisons between the
costs of measures to control warming and their benefits. Since warming
will continue, regardless of action now, due to the lengthy time lags."

Are they lying? Or funded by Exxonmobile?

What about Dr. Christopher Landsea's withdrawal of participation from
the IPCC? Is he lying? Below are some sections from his resignation
letter:

"After some prolonged deliberation, I have decided to withdraw from
participating in the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). I am withdrawing because I have come to
view the part of the IPCC to which my expertise is relevant as having
become politicized. In addition, when I have raised my concerns to the
IPCC leadership, their response was simply to dismiss my concerns."

"My view is that when people identify themselves as being associated
with the IPCC and then make pronouncements far outside current
scientific understandings that this will harm the credibility of climate
change science and will in the longer term diminish our role in public
policy."

"It is certainly true that "individual scientists can do what they wish
in their own rights", as one of the folks in the IPCC leadership
suggested. Differing conclusions and robust debates are certainly
crucial to progress in climate science. However, this case is not an
honest scientific discussion conducted at a meeting of climate
researchers."

"I personally cannot in good faith continue to contribute to a process
that I view as both being motivated by pre-conceived agendas and being
scientifically unsound. As the IPCC leadership has seen no wrong in Dr.
Trenberth's actions and have retained him as a Lead Author for the AR4,
I have decided to no longer participate in the IPCC AR4."

Then I read things like this:

Dr. Richard S. Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan professor of meteorology at
the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and one of the world's leading
atmospheric scientists, told a standing-room only audience at a briefing
sponsored by the Cooler Heads Coalition in the U.S. Senate Environment
Committee Room, that the IPCC process is driven by politics rather than
science.

What are some of the problems with the IPCC process, according to
Lindzen? It uses summaries to misrepresent what scientists say. It uses
language that means different things to scientists and laymen. It
exploits public ignorance over quantitative matters. It exploits what
scientists can agree on, while ignoring disagreements, to support the
global warming agenda. And it exaggerates scientific accuracy and
certainty and the authority of undistinguished scientists.

The "most egregious" problem with the IPCC's forthcoming report, said
Lindzen, "is that it is presented as a consensus that involves hundreds,
perhaps thousands, of scientists . . . and none of them was asked if
they agreed with anything in the report except for the one or two pages
they worked on."

The IPCC claims its report is peer-reviewed, which simply isn't true,
Lindzen said. Under true peer-review, he explained, a panel of reviewers
must accept a study before it can be published in a scientific journal.
If the reviewers have objections, the author must answer them or change
the article to take reviewers' objections into account.

Under the IPCC review process, by contrast, the authors are at liberty
to ignore criticisms. After having his review comments ignored by the
IPCC in 1990 and 1995, Lindzen asked to have his name removed from the
list of reviewers. The group refused.

The IPCC has resorted to using scenario-building in its policymakers'
summary to paint a frightening picture not supported by the science,
Lindzen charged. Ignoring the science allows the IPCC to build a
scenario, for example, that assumes man will burn 300 years' worth of
coal in 100 years. They plug that into the most sensitive climate model
available and arrive at a truly frightening global warming scenario.

There's little doubt, Lindzen said, that the IPCC process has become
politicized to the point of uselessness. He advised U.S. policymakers
simply to ignore it.

So Brian, why shouldn't I have questions?

Steve