ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:24:13 +0300
The "ocean conveyor" is probably the most important determining factor
for the weather and climate in any one particular place. It can shift in
both short (e.g. El Nino) and long terms (e.g. "Gulf Stream"
subduction). However, being a great mixing bowl, the global climate
effect is small, as long as the ocean temperature remains relatively
constant. Unfortunately, the surface water of the oceans is also
becoming warmer in tropical- and mid-latitudes and this does contribute
to changes of weather and climate. It will take several hundred years
before deep ocean water will start rising in temperature and this may
become a worse problem than we are currently foreseeing for the 21st or
22nd centuries.

Brian