ENVIRONET Archives

April 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 01:27:27 -0500
Hi Brian, Gordon, Joe, EnViroNetrs,

<I was misled into thinking that this report was going to be the full
scientific one, which was supposed to be published about now, but I
think this has been delayed until this autumn.>

I have read that it is going to be released in stages so that each area of the
world will see what the future holds for them. If this is true it is most likely an
attempt to strike continual growing spreading fear, and paranoia so that the
message will resonant longer with the public. I am not saying this is a bad
strategy when dealing with a hard to teach and move public.

<I must admit, I find this one rather too alarmist and the popular media
have immediately latched on to the worst case scenarios.>

That's what the media loves, and then they move to following some actress or
other scandal. BTW you probably have noticed that hollywood has also latched
onto doomsday stuff on the TV.  This is similar to the increase in torture
scenes on TV after the Cheney/Bush Administration said it was OK for them to
torture in secret places and countries since it wasn't really torture.

<I think the language of this report has been carefully chosen to try and
shock the recalcitrant governments into action.>

I don't think that this will work. The politicians will pound their chests with new
found faith and then move on unless the public has sticking power on this
topic. I don't see it happening in the short term.

Yours in Engineering, MA/NY DDave