ENVIRONET Archives

February 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:05:12 +0200
David

I agree, it needs a benign dictatorship to implement useful actions.
So-called democracies will never do so, because unpopular actions lose
votes at the next elections (at least in some countries :-) ).
Unfortunately, the present-day neo-conservative dictatorships are far
from benign, especially, as you point out, when they are lobbied by the
energy companies who provide the political parties with their cash.

I have some hopes re China, less so for India. China has already started
on a lot of carbon-free electricity generation (hydro and nuclear). I'm
personally opposed to Three Gorges, since I visited the site and the
region, for various reasons but mainly because it will put many millions
of lives in danger, but it will allow them to close down a number of the
dirtiest, oldest, coal-fired stations (some of them 60 years old). If
only other countries would follow suit.

In Europe, only Finland and France are actively pursuing nuclear
generation, although I can feel the tide may be turning. In the UK, they
seem to be betting mainly on wind, like some of the other N. European
states, but they seen to forget that the wind doesn't blow all the time.
There are three massive anticyclonic weather systems that cover the
whole of N. Europe, from the North of Scotland to the S. of France and
from Ireland to nearly Poland, each year. They can last 2 - 3 weeks,
almost without wind. The strongest one is in late November, with clear
skies and hard frosts at night, so that heating requirements and
electricity demand are high.

Certainly, the world economy is in for a hard time but the point I want
to make is that PO will not happen overnight; it will be a slow process
with lots of negative feedback (as energy prices rise, so the demand
will fall, manufacturing industry will slow down, except for innovative
technology, with low energy demand, so costs will tend to level out).
Hopefully, the Prius will kick the hell out of Cherokees and Hummers and
demand for fuel will drop, as the prices rise, so the overall cost for
the household, in constant dollar terms, will not rise too significantly.

We, in Europe, will probably be better off than you, in the USA. You are
in the start of a terrible inflationary spiral as other currencies than
the dollar will appear safer because of lower national debt levels and
the consequent de facto devaluation. Where you are paying twice as much
per bbl of crude oil in dollars, we, in terms of the euro, are paying
only 25% more.

Here's some food for thought. Do you know that the USA needs 38.2
quadrillion barrels of oil equivalent to produce all the electricity you
need, yet you distribute only 11.9 quads of actual electricity with 26.3
quads as energy losses? Worse, for transportation, the figures are 26.5,
5.3 and 21.2 quads respectively. Overall, for the ~97 quads of total
energy input, you use only 35.2 quads in useful work and lose 56.2
quads. So, not only do you consume vast amounts of energy (>85% from
fossil fuels), you waste the best part of 60% of it - and 40% of that
comes from oil. (2002 figures http://eed.llnl.gov/flow) Lest you think
that I'm US-bashing, some other countries, such as the UK, are only
marginally (~5%) better.

Brian